Banned
redchiz

Re: New TalkTalk Router Update Tool - Huawei HG520B & HG532 - D-Link DSL-2680 & DSL-2780

Originally Posted by darren221980

I'm using the HG532 which i used on residential as believe it or not the business router is even worse which i didn't think could happen.

What router did they send you for the business package?
Contributor
darren221980

Re: New TalkTalk Router Update Tool - Huawei HG520B & HG532 - D-Link DSL-2680 & DSL-2780

Originally Posted by redchiz
What router did they send you for the business package?

It's the Technicolor TG582n
★Desk Jockey ★Extended Profile ★Got Potential
★Basic Profile ★Active Participant ★Feedback Loop
Valued Contributor
T_PC_R

Originally Posted by pengipete
Just downloaded the tool to take a look - and Norton immediately deleted it and flagged it up as...

"Threat Name: WS.Reputation.1

Threat type: Insight Network Threat.

There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe
"

I'm sure that TalkTalk aren't actually producing malware but customers will be put off from using a tool when Norton says it is unsafe. They need to either rewrite the tool or contact Norton to advise them - and prove - that it is safe.

The reason it gets flagged is because the nature of the program is to make changes to the network, you can always put it in your AV false positive section.
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Valued Contributor
T_PC_R

Originally Posted by DrWook
+1, I don't really want to have to dig out a Windows machine, and connect over wireless (always a great plan...), to upgrade router firmware. I think the calls for a straight file download are obviously sane - is anyone at TT able to advise if these are available?

When upgrading any routers firmware it MUST I REPEAT it MUST be done on a WIRED CONNECTION

★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Regular Contributor
sonar

Only available for Windows

Why ?????
Regular Contributor
CJSS

Originally Posted by sonar
Only available for Windows
Why ?????

I believe it utilises Internet Explorer :smileyindifferent:.
I understand the reason for trying to use an automated piece of software to go through the process - but maybe it could also have a manual method, for when the automatic method fails. A manual method could involve selecting your router. After selection you are then able to download the appropriate file(s) and are given step-by-step instructions, with screenshots, of how to complete the process.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Contributor
DrWook

Originally Posted by CJSS

I understand the reason for trying to use an automated piece of software to go through the process - but maybe it could also have a manual method, for when the automatic method fails.

Especially when, e.g. if you've changed the default IP address (come on, not that unusual is it?), the program actually says roughly "Either reset to factory settings or update manually". Sure, I'll update manually quite happily. I built a sodding virtual machine running windows just to run this updater, and that's all it can tell me? Throw me a bone here and just give us some firmware links.

Or if this really can't happen, at least don't get the program to taunt us :smileywink:
Regular Contributor
sonar

Originally Posted by TPCR
When upgrading any routers firmware it MUST I REPEAT it MUST be done on a WIRED CONNECTION

Mine is a wired connection
not windows but linux..
No help for other o.s then
Contributor
DrWook

Originally Posted by sonar
Mine is a wired connection
not windows but linux..
No help for other o.s then

+1 on the Linux front. But I don't care about some "next, next, finish" program to do the update for me, just let me have the files to go do it myself so I'm in control.

Surely all this program does is download it then automate the web browser actions, if it's apparently dependant on IE and appears to stop screen refresh intentionally...?
Regular Contributor
Retractor

Having trialed this software in 2 versions I came to the conclusion that it does not like some systems. It would tell me that the software was going to update the router and download the required firmware but fail after waiting about 8-10 minutes for it go to through it`s process.

The only way that I got it to actually install the firmware was by going into SAFE MODE with networking and making sure the router passwords were set to the default admin/admin. It then installed OK.

I can not promise it will work for you or promise that it won`t cause you problems. I will say that if you take the SAFE MODE with networking route I take no responsiblity for your actions.
Regards

Retractor
Super Contributor
pengipete

Originally Posted by TPCR
The reason it gets flagged is because the nature of the program is to make changes to the network, you can always put it in your AV false positive section.

I understand that and as I said, I doubt that TT are actually producing maware. Work-arounds are good - removing the problems is better - and this tool is aimed at people who may not know how to install a manual update which means they are the same ones who don't need to see warnings or have any other complications.

If they have to muck about unquarantining the thing - and that's assuming they even understand what a "false positive" is and know their way around Norton - chances are they just won't use the app. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people will simply do what their security software advises and those that don't are more likely to want to know exactly what the update does and what changes it makes rather than using an automated tool.
Frequent Contributor
djcowlin

Just to be clear, then: the updater will only work if the router login and password have been reset to their defaults (or, logically, if they have never been changed from them). What does this tell us about TT's attitude towards its users' basic security practices? You get rewarded for leaving your network wide open to intrusions?

Hopeless.
Valued Contributor
T_PC_R

Originally Posted by djcowlin
Just to be clear, then: the updater will only work if the router login and password have been reset to their defaults (or, logically, if they have never been changed from them). What does this tell us about TT's attitude towards its users' basic security practices? You get rewarded for leaving your network wide open to intrusions?

Hopeless.

In all fairness TT does not know what the usernames and passwords would of been changed to from default, so it would make sense for the user to change back to default for the upgrade.

That being said it could be configured so that the login box appears so the user could input their own details, but that may defeat the objective of the tool being fully automotive.

There is still a lot of work needed to be done with the Firmware upgrade tool as I strongly feel that it is still to early to have gone for public release.

Regular Contributor
CJSS

Hopeless.

No - you can have a custom login. When the software fails to login it prompts you to enter your custom login details and will then try again. I have a custom login and had no problems with that part of the process.
Community Star
jcampy

Hopeless.

leaving your router inteface password as default is not some big security risk remember they have to be connected to th network in th first place befor they can even access that page

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Regular Contributor
CJSS

Originally Posted by jcampy
leaving your router inteface password as default is not some big security risk remember they have to be connected to th network in th first place befor they can even access that page

It is possible if you get an IP address. Find out your own IP and enter it into the URL bar - you'll probably find you are sent to your router settings page(s).
Community Star
jcampy

Originally Posted by CJSS
It is possible if you get an IP address. Find out your own IP and enter it into the URL bar - you'll probably find you are sent to your router settings page(s).

well as far as I know many of the talktalk router dot support remote access not be default anyway
any what exactly are they going to to when on your router?

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Contributor
richraj

Successfully used the Router Update Tool on my HG532, but not without a few problems.

I had changed the default password, and the tool prompted me to input my username and password as I had changed from the default. I tried this numerous times but it was unable to update firmware. I then decided to alter my router log in settings back to the default, and as mentioned in another post I rebooted my computer in SAFE MOOD. I also logged in to TalkTalk with Internet Explorer ( I usually use Chrome). The Update Tool then worked perfectly and installed the new firmware, I then altered the password from the default setting, and everything is working perfectly.

So far the connection seems much smoother and more stable.
Occasional Contributor
MarcelHold

richraj, what's the new firmware version (on the summary screen when you first get into 192.168.1.1)?
I've currently got v3.03t on mine; wondering whether I should try to update...

CHeers!
Valued Contributor
T_PC_R

Originally Posted by MarcelHold
richraj, what's the new firmware version (on the summary screen when you first get into 192.168.1.1)?
I've currently got v3.03t on mine; wondering whether I should try to update...

CHeers!

MarcelHold

The latest Firmware version for the HG532 is the 3.03t, it appears that you have the latest version :smileyhappy: